Prince George and Princess Charlotte to move to 'remote learning' for school due to coronavirus pandemic

By Zach Harper, with files from Danielle Stacey

Thomas's Battersea, the London school attended by both Prince George and Princess Charlotte, will close due to the coronavirus pandemic. For the time being, the two little royals will move to home-schooling at Kensington Palace as of March 20.

"Due to the increasing number of children and staff absent from school because of the coronavirus pandemic, Thomas's London Day Schools have decided to move to remote learning from Friday 20 March," a spokesperson told HELLO! UK.

"From this date, the curriculum will be taught through online learning platforms and we have asked parents to keep their children at home and to access their lessons through this system. In cases where families are not in a position to keep their children at home (those who are 'front line staff' in the medical profession, for example), the school will remain physically open until the last day of term, Thursday 26 March. We appreciate the support of the school community as we continue to provide the best possible solution for our pupils during these challenging times."

Charlotte, 4, started at Thomas's in September 2019, where she's been learning French, computing, art, music, drama and ballet. Six-year-old George is in Year 2, and has been taking classes on literacy, numeracy, science, history and geography, French, physical education, computing, music, swimming, ballet, games and other topics.

Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik pulled Prince Christian, 14, Princess Isabella, 12, and nine-year-old twins Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine out of Lemania-Verbier International School in Switzerland last week due to the coronavirus outbreak. The family reunited in Denmark just before the country closed its borders over the pandemic. Photo: © Ole Jensen/Getty Images

Royal families around the world have had to make many changes due to the coronavirus pandemic. Last week, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark pulled their children out of school in Switzerland. They're now all back home.

The British Royal Family has also had to alter its plans and schedules due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Queen will be moved to Windsor Castle for her Easter break on March 19, a week earlier than usual. She will not attend the Maundy Thursday service at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle on April 9. Three garden parties she hosts annually at Buckingham Palace are cancelled this year, along with two others that were to benefit the Not Forgotten Association and the National Trust. These are events where large numbers of people were scheduled to attend, the Palace says.

Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi have cancelled their wedding reception, which was to take place at Buckingham Palace on May 29. Their nuptials are still planned to go ahead the same day, but the Palace says they are considering whether it should be a private affair with their closest family and friends.

Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi called for kindness and compassion during the coronavirus outbreak this week, suggesting that grocery stores give priority to elderly shoppers during early opening hours, since that population is most at risk from COVID-19. Photo: © Luc Castel/Getty Images

Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla postponed their tour of Cyprus and Jordan, which was to take place later this month, along with the Duke of Cornwall's visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Prince Edward also postponed two events he was to attend on March 16.

As of this writing, the World Health Organization says there have been more than 194,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in 164 countries. Canada has had 569 of those cases, according to Health Canada. The WHO says the illness has caused nearly 7,900 deaths worldwide.

Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!