Prince Charles praises health care workers with message of hope as he discusses his coronavirus recovery

By Zach Harper

Prince Charles has spoken out about his experience recovering from the coronavirus, praising all the effort health care workers and ordinary people are doing to help the world beat COVID-19.

In a video that was likely shot at his Birkhall home on the Royal Family's Balmoral estate, the Prince of Wales said he deeply empathizes with all of those whose lives have been affected by the coronavirus since it began spreading earlier this year.

Clarence House revealed Charles's COVID-19 diagnosis on March 25, and on March 30 it was revealed he had ended his self-isolation. The Duchess of Cornwall – who tested negative for the coronavirus – is still in isolation in line with government and medical orders. The duke continues to work from home.

"Having recently gone through the process of contracting this coronavirus – luckily with relatively mild symptoms – I now find myself on the other side of the illness, but still in no less a state of social distance and general isolation," Charles said.

He also acknowledged the difficulties and sacrifices that have come with strict social distancing measures put in place to stop the spread of the illness.

"As we are all learning, this is a strange, frustrating and often distressing experience when the presence of family and friends is no longer possible and the normal structures of life are suddenly removed.

"At such an unprecedented and anxious time in all our lives, my wife and I are thinking particularly of all those who have lost their loved ones in such very difficult and abnormal circumstances, and of those having to endure sickness, isolation and loneliness."

The future King sent good wishes to those who are older and find themselves more isolated because of the virus. He also praised health care workers, grocery store employees and everyone doing their part to keep themselves and everyone around them safe.

"As a nation, we are faced by a profoundly challenging situation, which we are only too aware threatens the livelihoods, businesses and welfare of millions of our fellow citizens," Charles finished. "None of us can say when this will end, but end it will. Until it does, let us try and live with hope and, with faith in ourselves and each other, look forward to better times to come."

Prince Albert of Monaco, who has also just recovered from the illness, looked happy and healthy as he left the royal palace on April 1. Photo: © G. Luci/Palais Princier

Charles is not the only royal to recover from COVID-19, though he is the first member of the British Royal Family to be diagnosed with it. Prince Albert of Monaco was declared fully recovered from the coronavirus this week, and on April 1 he was seen for the first time since his diagnosis.

As of this writing, the Johns Hopkins University of Medicine says there have been more than 887,000 cases of COVID-19 in 180 countries or regions. More than 190,000 people have recovered from the illness. The coronavirus has been responsible for more than 45,000 deaths worldwide.

Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!