UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to intensive care as COVID-19 symptoms worsen

By Heather Cichowski

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved to the intensive care unit (ICU) at St Thomas' Hospital in London after going into hospital following a positive test for COVID-19.

The head of government was admitted to hospital on April 5, after reports said his condition had worsened after 10 days of symptoms related to the coronavirus. According to The Guardian, No 10 Downing Street, the official residence and office of the prime minister, reported the move was a precautionary measure.

On April 6, a Downing Street spokesperson confirmed Boris had been moved into intensive care in the evening. It is understood he is still conscious and the move was made in case he would require ventilation for his condition.

"Since Sunday evening, the Prime Minister has been under the care of doctors at St Thomas' Hospital, in London, after being admitted with persistence symptoms of coronavirus," the BBC reports the statement from No 10 read.

"Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the Prime Minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital."

MORE: Stars and royals who have tested positive for the coronavirus or say they've likely had it

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has been asked to deputize for him.

"The PM is receiving excellent care, and thanks for all NHS staff for their hard work and dedication."

In a press conference, Dominic reiterated the move was precautionary and based on some of the symptoms Boris previously had when he first tested positive. The deputy said Boris is "in good spirits" and being regularly updated on affairs.

At the end of March, the PM took to Twitter to reveal he had mild symptoms of COVID-19 and he would be self-isolating and continuing to work from home.

"Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus," he penned. "I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government’s response via video-conference as we fight this virus. Together we will beat this. #StayHomeSaveLives."

On April 6, he shared an update on Twitter about how he was doing after being admitted to hospital.

"Last night, on the advice of my doctor, I went into hospital for some routine tests as I’m still experiencing coronavirus symptoms," he revealed. "I’m in good spirits and keeping in touch with my team, as we work together to fight this virus and keep everyone safe.

"I’d like to say thank you to all the brilliant NHS staff taking care of me and others in this difficult time. You are the best of Britain.

"Stay safe everyone, and please remember to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives."

On March 25, the Queen held her weekly audience with the UK prime minister, but did so by phone, and images were shared online. It marked the first time pictures of the audience were ever shared publicly.

Don't miss a beat with HELLO! Canada's Daily Hits newsletter, your daily dose of royal and celebrity news, fashion, weddings and more. CLICK HERE to sign up for free!